Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Crazy Heart


There must not have been a big budget for this film and I don't say that because it was poor production quality but because I don't think there was any money spent on advertising. Trust me I watch a shit load of t.v. and I never saw one ad for this film. It took till just recently for me to hear about this movie. What the hell, great movies like this should not go unnoticed. Before I start giving my opinion let me go through the same old song and dance of telling you the plot because if you're like me you have no idea what this movie is about.

Bad Blake(I know what a badass stage name, no pun intended)(Jeff Bridges) is an old country music star who is still touring the country playing in small dive bars and living the dream, somewhat. This is the story of his life on the road and what he encounters while trying to reclaim some of his star power. Along the way we find out that he helped a young country singer named Tommy Sweet(Colin Farrell, I know how random is he to play a country star he's Irish however Keith Urban is Australian so whatever, still a weird cast but it doesn't hurt the movie, anyway)get his start and become a huge country star. Along his travels Blake also develops a relationship with Jean Craddock(Maggie Gyllenhaal)and her four year old son Buddy(Jack Nation). Blake still parties like he's hanging out with Hank Williams jr., Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings but time is catching up with him and he is forced to deal with his problems.

This film was awesome. I am so pissed it took me so long to see it. It is so realistic and down-to-earth. I don't know exactly how to explain it but it just seemed like a documentary, it was so true and seemingly unscripted. If you see it you'll know what I mean and I fully recommend that you do. Jeff Bridges was fucking amazing. I apologize for such strong language but he was.(I don't really apologize, I wish the trailers on t.v. would show stuff like that not the same old Rolling Stone called it "Amazing" "Best Movie Of The Year" bullshit but "Holy Shit I Loved It" kinda stuff, how cool would that be) He was just so good at making you believe that he lived this life. He's funny and drunk and embodied this character so damn well. His performance was one of the best I've seen in a while. Robert Duvall was also pretty good in it even though he only had a small role. Even Colin Farrell did a good job as the new age pop-country star(unfortunately country music has turned more pop recently and this film kinda touches on that) The only thing I didn't like about it was Maggie Gyllenhaal. Man she is just the worst and I don't just mean in this movie but pretty much in everything. I just can't stand her and her terribleness really sticks out when you see Jeff Bridges up there being all money. I'll tell you what if you see this movie and like her in it be sure to let me know so I can give you a swift kick in the balls.

Anyway, I digress, other than her performance and some slow parts this film is great. It will help if you also happen to like country music but it's not a deal breaker. Its got a good bit of humor and cussing which always helps for me. The story, with its realistic style, is great and the acting is spectacular(except for Gyllenhaal of course) you really should go see it. I give it an A.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog


Mission Statement

You know when a new movie comes out and everyone says its great you have to see it and then you go and find out it blows worse than having some homeless guy take a shit next to your car and then break into your car to use some clothes you left in there to wipe his ass. (Trust me it happens.) Well this blog is to make sure that this never happens to you.  I will try to give you my honest opinion and let you know whether the movie is worth seeing or not.  And if the movie really sucks I will try and give you enough ammo to make fun of it to other people who are dumb enough to like it.

"Get him to the Greek"?

Followers

Rating Scale

BK(Bee's Knees): This is primarily reserved for classics like "The Godfather" I don't see any new releases making this grade any time soon.

A: This is for a great movie that is destined for my dvd collection and would see multiple times in theaters. They have that extra something that stands out.

B: This is for movies that are better than just good but they lack that "X" factor. These are ones that you see in the store and are like oh shit I really liked this movie and I forgot about it but now I need to buy it.

C: This is for movies that are just alright. They are predictable, simple and fun to watch but you were a little disappointed when you saw them. You were like damn that movie could've been better, I'm disappointed now. However, you still might put them in your dvd collection if someone gives it to you.

D: This is for movies that just suck. They are either not what you thought they would be or you got tricked or forced into going to see. These are extremely predictable and serve little entertainment. You have no interest in seeing it again and if someone gave it to you, you would defiantly try and sell it for beer money.

SB(Sucks Balls): This category is for movies that just really suck balls. This one, like the BK category, most movies wont fall into but I still have it for movies like "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" remember that movie, man it really sucked balls.

This is Depressing